Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Location Portfolio - Kings X 8 photos - daytime images



I visited Kings X 4 times & each time photographed a few people. It took a long time as I struck up a conversation each time & learnt a bit about their lives. Belinda wanted me to reveal all (or some) of what I learnt about them but I am reticent to do that as I respect them & what they told me I think was in confidence. I haven't made that decision yet - the High Court is such a public place. Also even though Silvia says it is important to give their names in documentaries, I am even not sure whether to do that because of each one of their situations. Many or most are possibly at the lowest ebb in their lives. Advice here would be appreciated. I would be happy to give the stories here on the blog, but not so happy at the High Court.

eg The 2 girls in front of the Coca-Cola sign describe themselves as 'working girls'. It was  7.30am & they had just finished working all night. One has told her mother that she is a dancer & the other told her mother that she is a bar maid. I would hate it if someone who knew someone who knew someone, & then somehow got it back to their mothers about their real occupations.

I  will be re-working the images after getting some advice from Belinda.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ginette, First names are enough. I think it gives the people more dignity to be named...also more credibility to your work. Their stories do not need to be told, your images are doing that. But a little blurb on what you are trying to say with the series could be good. Bye for now, Belinda

    ReplyDelete